National Trust Challenge - Out with the old, in with the new
The original fence had stood for over 100 years, so it was a challenging brief. The previous fence was supplied and erected by Francis Morton & Co, Naylor Street Ironworks, Liverpool, constructional Engineers. Manufacturers of bridges and girders, roofing, steel-framed buildings, steel telegraph poles, fencing, gates and ornamental iron work. They employed over 700 workers, supplying approx. 30,000 tonnes of steel products per annum.
Their patented wire fencing system was first advertised in The Farmer's Gazette and Journal of Practical Horticulture, Saturday 9 July 1859. Their patented oval tapered canister galvanised posts and wrought iron ratchet designed strainers were revolutionary at the time. The past owners were certainly looking to invest in a product that would stand the test of time. This fencing system was being advertised for one shilling, 10d (approx. 22p) per yard, equivalent in today’s money would be approximately be £45.22 per yard and with erection cost between 2d –3d (2-3p per yard) equivalent in today’s value at £5.89 per yard. It was a considerable investment to consider.